SmallAnnaScottbanner.jpg

The story of my Roman-type Kiln...

For more than 15 years in the South west of France I have joined archaeological excavations. By chance some digs were ancient kilns.  I became more and more determined to see whether I could build a Roman type kiln in a bank in my garden.  The local brick yard gave me as much clay as I needed.  I had straw and sand, and even help to make the bricks.  It works perfectly.  I built it in 1995 of unfired bricks. Since then it has had an extra layer of bricks built around the original lot to protect the interior from humidity. I fired these in my electric kiln so that they would withstand any weather.  I made a lid so I could fire in reduction if I wanted to do so.  I use wood from the land on the farm--olive, broom, oak, chestnut stakes from the vineyards and, of course, old vines.  The experimental firings have been fascinating, with fewer and fewer disasters as I learnt more about controlling the fire.

And here are some ceramics fired in Anna's Roman-type Kiln...